Thursday, December 23, 2010

Inside #the5 Thursday - review

Good morning! If you haven't already had your cuppa choice this morning, grab it and settle in for a quick read of my choices of #the5 for today.

Good News for the 55 Career Crowd! "Your mission as a job seeker doesn’t change" a good entry for
Matt finds two articles seemingly with conflicting data. What to make of it rally remains to be decided but I agree with his insights that "Your mission as a job seeker doesn't change".

Sandwiched and working flexibly "Flexibility in the workplace isn’t a perk" A good one from @ for  
I hadn't heard the term 'sandwiched' referring to those stuck between generational responsibilities. My kids, now young ladies, are less a daily drain on time and effort (fortunately) while Dolores and my remaining parents are an increasing draw on time. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret it at all. I am glad to help to provide the assistance. We could not be here today without their assistance back in the day.

The Power of Hackday: Video Sharing on LinkedIn "LinkedIn sets aside a day for employees to experiment"
Google gets a lot of press about the 20% time they allow their employees to explore something of  interest (which can become something of value). LinkedIn does something similar and this too brings good results. Does your company do anything like this?

30 Great Books For Job Search, Career And Life "some ideas on how to spend that pile of gift cards"  
Tim has a great listing. I will spend some time reviewing it later. How many of these have you already devoured?


Top 20 Most Useful LinkedIn Blog Posts of 2010 "you owe it to yourself to spend" some time reviewing this list
Neal has a great listing of posts on LInkedIn. I'll need to spend sometime to review this myself. I imagine I may have seen most of these already but wouldn't be surprised if I had missed one or two. How many have you see? Which is the best one?

So what do we come up with as a summary word for today? I'll choose review as that is the one action that most of these require. Certainly the last two do. As we close this year, it is good to review what has gone before. What worked for you? What didn't work for you? Make the list, check it twice. Do the good things in 2011, leave aside those things that didn't work in 2010. The mission doesn't change but how we execute may be necessary to change and adapt to what is going on around us.

What have you learned that you can share?



Note this was cross posted to Steve's 2 Cents today

No comments:

Post a Comment